There’s an old saying that the family that prays together stays together. Today, many experts believe that could be extended to say that couples who share values and goals are likely to have a stronger relationship, and experience more success.
Why struggle on your own when you and your spouse can support each other in living out your dreams? Try these tips for couples who want to aim higher and work smarter.
1. Set joint goals. Your spouse probably knows more about you than anyone else in your life. Double your resources by pulling together to agree on your objectives and how to reach them.You’ll also be able to cover more ground by complementing each other’s strengths and weaknesses.
2. Share encouragement. If a pep talk inside your own head can recharge your enthusiasm, imagine how much motivation you can gather from having your spouse on your side. Cheer each other on.
3. Hang in there. There’s a good reason why fitness buffs sign up for cycling classes instead of riding a stationary bike alone. Just the presence of others can help you to persevere, and someone you’re close to is more influential than a gym member you just met.
4. Be realistic. Your goals should be within reach. Your spouse can advise you if you’re taking on more than you can handle.
5. Take turns. Working in pairs also gives you the advantage of rotating your roles. Maybe you’ll both complete your degrees by having one spouse work until the other graduates.
6. Bounce back from disappointment. Unfulfilled goals tend to cause more discomfort than having no goals at all. A supportive spouse makes it easier to remain content and motivated. They can remind you of your blessings if you feel like you’re missing out.
7. Enjoy the process. While having specific and measurable goals can help you to become more successful, your happiness depends on appreciating the journey as well as the destination. Traveling with someone you love makes any trip more entertaining.